Friday, May 09, 2008

Atlas Shrugged - The Animated Series


While reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, I happened to catch an episode of the "Batman - Superman Animated Adventures." Seeing Lois Lane in her business suit, along with Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent -- set against the deco skyscrapers of Gotham -- put me in mind of the book I was enjoying. I wanted to see Dagny, Francisco, and Hank Reardon animated in the same way.

Soon after that, I happened to read that Atlas Shrugged has been optioned for a movie starring Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and Russell Crowe. Yikes. I preferred the never-realized 70s lineup of Faye Dunaway, Robert Redford and Clint Eastwood.

Anyway, I decided I'd make up my own drawings, so here they are: The characters from Atlas Shrugged in the style of "Batman: the Animated Series." Stay tuned for Francisco D'Anconia and some of the more villainous characters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are really stellar! Atlas Shrugged would make for an awesome animated series or movie trilogy. It's interesting how everyone gets to imagine the characters in their own mind. I always envisioned Hank's character as more of an rough hands-on engineer type of guy rather than the suave suited character above.

Amy K. said...

Shamus also said he thought Hank looked too young. I may rethink that one and make his face a little more rugged. But Hank always seemed to be dressing up for parties and meetings -- maybe I'll have to do an alternate version for working at the mills.

Lasky said...

I've never read the book, but these look great! You should draw more stuff in this style!

Gustavo Sosa said...

I posted in my blog the exact same suggestion:

Atlas Shrugged as an animated series in a Bruce Timm style.

And I absolutely love your drawings!!

I swear if I had the money I would be financing the series and putting you in charge of the project without even seeing your resume.